Pown shop near me
Milwaukee's Bicycle Community
2016.05.12 17:27 chillaxin4life Milwaukee's Bicycle Community
Welcome to Milwaukee's bike subreddit! From the urban commuters to the beach cruisers, everyone and their bike is welcome here for newbie advice, pro events, and everything in between! Bike maps and bike shops are listed in the wiki.
2021.08.20 10:08 nevernotdistracted Jazz_Emu
The Jazz Emu fan community!
2013.05.09 03:05 kestaa ZR5K
NOTE: Due to very low traffic, we have merged this group with /Runner5. Please go there for more actrive discussion! **8 Weeks to Become a Hero** Train with Dr. Myers, outrun zoms, and become Runner Five. New to running, getting back into running, or just can't get enough of Abel, this /r is for people working through the Zombies, Run! 5k Training app. Available for iOS and Android at https://www.zombiesrungame.com.
2023.03.21 22:21 Valuable_External343 Can someone tell me if this is a good skincare regimen?
| || |
I'm starting to notice laugh lines around my mouth and fine lines under my eyes. I've also always had a problem with dark circles but it seems like lately they may be getting worse but I did just recently start working again. I have the occasional pimple mostly around my mouth/chin area but no extreme breakouts. When I do get a pimple though they last awhile and take awhile for the dark spot to leave my face. I have dry flaky skin around my nose that causes makeup to cake around it, even after cleansing and all that so I just avoid makeup in my nose area. I also have tiny little scars from when I was younger and I used to have blackheads around my mouth. I still have problems with blackheads and whiteheads, but not near as much. My skin doesn't look dull but I would like to promote bright, healthy looking skin. submitted by Valuable_External343 to Skincare_Addiction [link] [comments]
I've been looking into the ordinary skincare and I'd like to get some of the serums so I can get a head start on some of the spots that look like they're aging. So I did their skincare regimen builder quiz and it recommended me a few things but I tweaked some of them too due to different reviews and everything.
At the moment I have a simple skincare routine. I cleanse with the cerave SA cleanser, tone with witch hazel (I usually avoid my nose area because I know it can be drying) and moisturize with neutrogena hydro boost moisturizer. I exfoliate with the ordinary aha chemical exfoliator (the red one) just when I feel I need it, and If I use a mask it's usually once in a great while when I feel my skin needs a deep clean (I'll use some sort of charcoal mask). I know you aren't supposed to he using SA with some of these items, but it's in the cleanser and it seems to be so diluted. They're out of stock of the squalene cleanser.
I plan on keeping my cleanser and toner the same, but adding the rest of these in. Maybe not all at once and some in the AM and some in the PM, but that'll be trial and error. I just don't want to be purchasing a bunch of stuff that isn't going to work well with each other!
Tldr: skincare concerns: early signs of aging/lines, patchy dryness, congestion in some areas, brightness. Just wondering if these would work well together and if they'll work well with witch hazel as a toner, and the cerave SA cleanser.
2023.03.21 22:20 StupidSolipsist Mice & Murder appreciation post
Hey, gang, I just rewatched Mice & Murder and wanna sing its praises. Spoilers below.
Grant O'Brien kills it as Detective Sylvester Cross. He nails the balance of a legitimately smart hero and an insecure, bitchy weirdo. Rehka Shankar and his banter is the heart of this season, and it is great from both of them. Hats off to Grant especially for staying cool while being framed and letting the audience enjoy the table's misdirected reaction, without interrupting to say out-of-character that he was innocent.
Speaking of Rehka Shankar, she and Ally Beardsley did the most to play up the silly animal setting, and I appreciate them both for it. Daisy's trash and shit... Lars's barking and rolling around... It really relieved the pressure from the intense plotting to be reminded that this was still a ridiculous setting with opportunities for cartoonishness.
Katie Marovitch as Gangie Green and Raphael Chestang as Vicar Ian Prescott were both such entertaining roleplayers, leaning into their quirky characters. Gangie's immediate bond with Matilda Molesly warmed my heart, and the Vicar's complete clown show from beginning to end was great dedication to the bit. Remembering to play for the audience is a big difference between playing ttrpgs and recording a ttrpg actual play, and their comedic chops give them such good instincts for D20.
I need more Sam Reich on D20. Buckster $ Boyd stole the show for me; a great performance of a well-thought-out character. And his engagement was infectious! I felt like I was watching it with Sam, the show's #1 fan.
And of course, Brennan Lee Mulligan. A well-paced mystery is so hard to pull off in tabletop. It took a great table and a fair amount of intervention, but yes, that's what it takes. With all those critical successes, the dice didn't do him any favors keeping control of the pacing. And yet, he kept a feeling of excitement and progress over many hours of gameplay. Masterfully done.
M&M is really near the top for me.
submitted by StupidSolipsist
to Dimension20 [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:20 mggilberg Since becoming Series 3 complete cards coming at a slower rate
I noticed that since getting Series 3 complete I am not pulling new cards from collector's reserves. I even got Series 4 and 5 at a quicker rate before being Series 3 complete. Do they still have Series 4 and cards in the reserves or are they trying to make you get them all from the token shop? With today's downgrade I already had Attuma and M'Baku and so with the new picking one a month I got Orka because it was all I could get making me Series 3 complete again. Any thoughts?
submitted by mggilberg
to MarvelSnap [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:19 Dragor027 Early pool 3 deck suggestion and discussion
| || | submitted by Dragor027 to MarvelSnapDecks [link] [comments]
I'm CL600 infinite 114.3 right now with 10 pool 3 cards :
Here are my 10 pool 3 cards , got lucky with Lockjaw and She hulk, and bought Dracula before the token shop change this morning
What deck would you suggest out of those cards ?
Here are the deck I use, but I'd like suggestions getting into new fun ways to play
60% W/R 0.7 avg cube out of 150 matches. My favorite deck so far, really like the counters and the adaptabily. With this deck you don't play alone on your side, you always have to adapt and have the tools to do that. What would you add / change about this deck ?
67% W/R 1.6 avbe out of 49 games. Tried this deck today, very nice to play, huge impact with modok, and can still play kind of value with sunspot she hulk and infinaut, but I really feel like a miss Shang chi to counter some other deck, but I'm not sure it's great to add it btw because it will only be playable in turn 4 if I have modok, what do you think ?
61% W/R 1.1 avg cube over 105 matches. This deck got me from 80 to 100, but it was when I was still in pool 2. I really appreciated the mix between a bit of control with KillMonger / Shang chi / white queen, the Dino archetype, and the strong base from destruction. Pretty versatile, but I'm not sure that will still be enough in pool 3, and I'd like to play something else a bit.
46% W/R -0.3 avg cube out of 50 games. Wanted to try a Lockjaw deck, it went very bad, I feel like in a lottery with no impact on the gameplay, just watching the rng from lockjaw or jubilee deciding the game. What am I doing wrong ? are there bettesafer way to have fun with Modok ?
45%W/R -0.1 avg cube out of 20 games. I've never been a huge fan of move deck, feeling it too screwed by the location. Should I add Storm or Scarlet witch maybe ? what would you change or advice to play this deck ?
Thanks for your help and advices :-)
2023.03.21 22:19 Mresc2 First time Gen 1 playthrough -- Pokemon Yellow via 3DS eShop or Fire Red/Leaf Green via Emulator/Homebrew?
I want to play Gen 1 for the first time, although Yellow is the only one on the 3DS eShop. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding:
- Yellow is the third version of Red and Blue, with anime references added in. (you can catch all three starters, you encounter Jesse & James). It runs on the same Gen 1 engine as Red/Blue.
- Fire Red / LeafGreen are remakes of Red and Green (Green is the Japan version of Blue), and runs on the updated Gen 3 engine.
I'd love to see anime references, but if the cons outweight the pros for Yellow then I'm willing to go for Fire Red / Leaf Green instead.
What do you guys suggest?
submitted by Mresc2
to pokemon [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:19 loveyourselforelse how to stop being anxious about my boyfriends friend
my (17f) boyfriend (17m), who i’ve been going out with for two months, has a friend group and he has lots of close female friends too. this doesn’t bother me but what does kinda bother me is he used to have sex with one of the girls in the group. they stopped a few months before me and him met.
it’s just that every time they’re near each other i get some irrational anxiety, and i absolutely hate whenever he shows affection to her or they touch in any way, even though they’re just friends now, she has a boyfriend too. he even had her shirt (and wore it.) when we started dating which i asked him not to wear anymore.
he knows i get insecure and he showed me their dms even tho i didn’t ask, and i was left even more insecure because he texts her with hearts or sends her things that remind him of her. if they haven’t had sex in the past i’m not sure if their communications would bother me or not, but with my knowledge it bothers me a ton despite him saying there’s nothing going on, which i believe.
how do i remove this stomach sinking and anxious feeling every time she’s around? i find myself picking her and myself apart to compare us and it’s a source of pain. i am trying not to develop negative feelings to her because she did nothing wrong but my jealousy and insecurity is really overwhelming and i find myself avoiding anything to do with her. i wanna be able to see her as a friend instead of “girl my boyfriend had sex with and still is friends with” :( help
TL;DR: I find myself feeling extremely insecure and anxious around my boyfriend’s friend who he used to have sex with and is still friend with.
submitted by loveyourselforelse
to relationships [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:19 enokizu Senior cat (11) behavior changed, 9mo. old may be partly responsible
I am writing this while waiting for my upcoming vet appointement for her next week.
I have a senior female 11 yr old that I got at a shelter (don't know her background, was found as a stray). She's always been very cuddly and calm and just an adorable lap cat.
About a month ago, I decided to adopt a 9 month old male cat that was being given away by a family who didn't want to care for him anymore. (yeah. 9mo old and already done with him) I thought it would also be an opportunity to give some company to my elderly cat. I have since then seen a few videos, mainly Jackson Galaxy, about how he doesn't think getting a young cat when you have an older cat is a good idea. Oh well.
Ever since then, I've been feeling guilty about adopting him, and I also noticed my girl behavior has changed. She sleeps with her head against the couch, doesn't purr like she used to, has random bouts of being vocal, is more wobbly when landing after jumping from the couch, and growls more when we handle her (though she never liked being held to be fair)
I am wondering how much of this can be in reaction to the new cat and how much might be a underlying health problem. I know stress in cats is bad and I feel terrible knowing I might've stressed her out by bringing a stranger into her home. I've followed cat introduction steps, and the newcomer is absolutely at ease, but she does NOT want him anywhere near her and will growl. So far what I've done is switch them in and out of rooms so she isn't stressed anymore. I know this is way less than ideal but I'm truly at lost here.
This whole ordeal makes me feel like a terrible cat mother and like I should've known better. If you guys have any tips or want to share your own experiences about adopting a younger cat with an elderly one I'm all ears. Thank you for reading
submitted by enokizu
to cats [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:19 Forsaken_Mushroom151 Average working hours conundrum
Question for you. So I am one of the overnight shift lead at my store. I work 8 nights, from 9:30 to 7:30, and then I get 6 days off. I have been in this position since July of last year and before that I was working full time as a cashier at a different location. That's just baseline info
Anyway, so I'm on medical leave right now for majority surgery and was informed by Sedgwick that according their info from Walgreens, my average hours a week are 32. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if I have been working in my current 8 on 6 off position for nearly a year. There's no way my average working hours should be only 32.
The person I spoke to claimed that the reason was because I was rehired for my current position so I've had to work up to 40 hours. But that is just not how averages work. Important to note, the rehire was because I was forced to leave my previous store because I was being threatened with violence by my coworker and some customers for being LGBT+ and both my HR investigations were swept under the rug.
Anyway, does anyone have some knowledge of how this whole average working hours works because I feel like I'm going crazy here. Also is there a way to fix this cause because of it I'm getting about a 1/5 of what I make in disability.
Thank you for any and all replies
submitted by Forsaken_Mushroom151
to WalgreensStores [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:18 sasksean GPT impact on Micron ($MU) Stock.
As I understand it, ChatGPT 3.0 could be run fairly efficiently on any system that has 100GB of VRAM. The amount of processing power isn't nearly as important as being able to fit the entire model in VRAM.
It seems to me that very soon models will require something on the order of a terrabyte of VRAM to inference.
It's confusing to me then why Nvidia stock has doubled as GPT3 and GPT4 have come out but Micron stock has stagnated.
The memory (Micron) is what makes a bigger model possible, not the compute (Nvidia).
Disclaimer: When I say "Micron" I mean any DRAM manufacturer (including SK hynix or Samsung). Micron is just easy to trade.
submitted by sasksean
to artificial [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:18 Shaklew We mention Timon in our diary? Does that mean he’s coming to the game?
2023.03.21 22:18 HinamizawaVictim Seeking Tips/Advice on how to approach stores when buying Appliances (GTA)
I know there have been various threads on this over the years, but I figured some further insight or advice would be great to have. I've tried to provide as much details as I could think of, but feel free to let me know if anything more is needed.
I'm currently looking to replace the electric stove/range and the dishwasher in my parents' house, based in the GTA.
- The range has been there since we moved in over twenty years ago. Two of the burners no longer work + the glass stovetop is cracked, and a repair person determined that replacing it would be better money spent than repairing it. They'd want an electric glasstop one only: no gas or induction.
- The dishwasher that came with the house was always faulty and this household has been hand-washing dishes all these years (that's 1st-gen Asian households for you). My sister's young kids have added to that and I've decided that a functional one is finally needed.
My questions are not about what brands to select (I've done the research on that, and man is it depressing that most appliances aren't built to last nowadays) but to how to approach the big box and appliance stores (asides from being friendly but firm, and not being a Karen):
- What are things to be wary about when I hit the stores? It seems like extended warranties are not worth it (and I'm waiting for a new CC to come in that would offer that anyway), and that I'll likely have to pay delivery & possibly installation/removal of old appliances with most shops unless they have a promo.
- I heard there is room for negotiation at appliance stores, and I noticed that most appliance stores are doing sales right now. Would they have less wiggle room for negotiating during sales? I also assume that I may need to play the price matching game, but how much of a discount can I reasonably expect (or is considered fair to both parties) for buying both appliances at one place, whether during sale season or normal non-sale periods?
- When scouring GTA stores so far, I came up with Home Depot, Costco (would need a membership/convince a family member with one to go with me + no negotiation IIRC), Best Buy, Lowe's, Canadian Appliance Source, Coast Appliances, The Brick, Leon's and Tasco/Goemans. Any positive/negative experiences from the ones mentioned, or are there any others in the GTA that should be considered that I missed? Would you go with a big box store or one of the specialized appliance stores/chains?
- I do intend to keep an eye out for open box/floor models, and I know most of the above would have some depending on location. Does anybody have experience with appliance outlets in the GTA?
Thanks in advance!
submitted by HinamizawaVictim
to PersonalFinanceCanada [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:18 parqer Payoff car loan early?
I know everyone here is going to flame me for this, but I have a nearly 4 digit monthly car payment.
I have more than enough cash in brokerage accounts to pay off my loan ($50k). Interest rate is 3.99%.
This is our only debt, outside the mortgage. My feeling is it’s bad debt, and our highest interest rate, but no reason to feel the need to pay it off early.
submitted by parqer
to personalfinance [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:17 HiMyNameIsRaz Car won't rev past 1k rpm
Bluf: car won't go past 1k rpm. Had oil change and fuel system cleaning in September. OBdII error code p2101. Any suggestions besides taking it to a shop?
Long back story with maybe unncessary details: nissan altima coupe 2010. I haven't been using this car a lot in the last year. It sat mainly in driveway or visitor since i use the suv more due to kids. I put a new battery in summer when it wouldn't start. Car was working fine. Then I got oil changed at valvoline sept 2022. They convinced me of getting an entire fuel system cleaning done (VPS first defense fuel system kit). They tried to convince me of getting transmission fluid changed, but I said I haven't done that since buying the car brand new in 2009 and I remember reading its not needed on this car because it's a closed system and people who did that ended up having issues. He took the stick out and showed me it wasn't a closed system but I said no anyway. I went home. Oct 2022 I started the car and moved it in front of my house and I let it idle for 20 minutes thinking the engine needs to run a bit since it sat for so long. I then went to move it to my driveway and I noticed it felt weak. I was going out of town so I parked in driveway and left. Came back and noticed it was making beeping noises a few weeks later. I saw some condensation inside the car (a lot of it) and saw there was water in backseat from when it rained. Maybe the hose is clogged. I disconnected the battery so it would stop making noise. I pumped the water out. I covered it with a car cover. 2 months later I open it to find mold inside. I sprayed it with a vinegar solution and cleaned it up. Waited for a sunny day and let it air out. A week later I check again and no more mold. I let it air out again. Today, I connect the battery again. It starts. All clean inside. I'm happy. I go to reverse and it moves, but engine doesn't go past 1k rpm. I left in park and tried to rev and it was the same. I connect OBDII and see it says P2101 error. Anything I can do before taking it to a mechanic? This car is so old that I don't want to spend more money on it, but we have just one car that works and my wife needs it sometimes. I haven't even done the inspection in over a year. Just had a lot going on this year and unfortunately this wasn't a priority. Any help is appreciated.
submitted by HiMyNameIsRaz
to MechanicAdvice [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:17 SatoriNamast3 My Local LCS is completely out of silver
I live in a city which pretty much only has two LCS stores dedicated to bullion (population 1MM). The others are mostly coin shops that sell a bit of silver coins and bullion yet hardly.
They are completely sold out. Wiped out. They had a 8 silver maples left and some 10oz bars. It takes 6 weeks to get stuff since everything is so backlogged.
Manager was telling me how people are more or less panick buying now. People coming in no idea knowing anything about silver or gold. Just literally saying shut up and take my money. One lady sold all her investment properties and converted a large chunk to PM. Didn't even know what a silver maple was lol.
The old guy standing next to me (retired) had just spent 5k on silver and that was his third purchase within a week. He was asking for my advice since according to him , "I've been doing this for a while".
Just wanted to know if any other apes had similar stories. Seems like the normies are panicking. So glad I've got the boat packed.
I'm doing a bunch of ordering online now seeing that my LCS shops have been drained.
submitted by SatoriNamast3
to SilverDegenClub [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:17 ChampionsFarmLillian Trying to decide between ducks or rabbits for my farm
Hey guys, I posted a few days ago about starting a farm in my late husband's honor. Everything on the farm is going to be free for the public to come and pick, and I also plan on starting a community garden on the land if anyone is interested. There's lots to do on the farm as far as planting crops go, but I'm also looking to add a new animal at some point in the next few months.
I have plenty of land, but my fence was destroyed during the last major hurricane here. I plan to get an electric fence because we have loads of coyotes and deer in the area that I can hear hunting every night, around dusk. We also have a decent amount of large birds, including vultures, eagles, HUGE owls, hawks, and more. Also, as previously mentioned, I live in a hurricane hotspot, so whatever animal I get will need protection in the event of a bad storm.
I currently have six animals, three dogs and three cats. Two of cats are kittens who we've only had for a few month, but they love the farm and all the animals get along really well. My oldest dog, Odin, is 19 years old and completely blind, if that matters. Want to make sure whatever pet we get won't harass him, although he's old, stays inside, and mostly keeps to himself. I also have another dog, a basenji, who is my service dog. She's very well trained but is a hunting dog. I think she'd get along okay with the animals given her training, but I'll definitely have to introduce them slow and make sure they're all safe.
As far as animals go, I think it'd between getting a few ducks or getting a few rabbits. Whichever animal I get would be kept outside, but I would of course get it a coop or hutch or whatever needed, along with fencing in the area for their protection. My concern is, how do I go about making sure they're safe? If I let them roam around in a outdoor grassy area surrounded by a fence, will that be okay, or will other birds mess with them? Which animal would be more useful for the farm considering my situation? I've heard rabbits make great compost and that would be extremely useful given how much food I plan on growing. On the other hand, ducks would produce eggs and I'd love that. Even if I start with a few and add more later, having another source of food would be very useful to the community. I think I prefer ducks to chickens, although I'm open to learning the pros and cons of both.
I also plan to add a koi pond to the property in the near future, so that's another thing to consider. Right now I'm thinking it's going to be in a completely different area on the property, although I know ducks need water. I could build them a pond or get them a pool if needed.
If anyone has any advice or knowledge they could share with me, it would be much appreciated. This is all a learning experience to me, but I love animals, love to learn, and am absolutely loving this farm life. Thanks for your time & have a blessed day.
submitted by ChampionsFarmLillian
to homestead [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:16 Apprehensive_Yam1005 First time therapy nerves/advice
Hiya, I have a massive tendency to overshare and be loquacious, so I will try to keep this brief! Skip to the end if this turns out to be a novel lol
I’m 28F, nearly 29, and have known I’ve struggled with some anxiety for my whole life, but it’s mostly been manageable outside of a couple periods of very stressful life situations. On some level, I’ve suspected ADHD as well for 5 or more years, but again, it was mostly manageable and never sought help before.
I’ve been having a harder time since the holidays, just lots of little life things adding up, work and relationship stress, and I’m now recognizing patterns in my past behavior when that have led to making really impulsive, life altering decisions that I’ve later regretted (changing my major on a near whim from architecture to psychology (lol), getting married at 20, divorced at 25). I’m in a serious relationship again now, and I can tell all of the behaviors that I usually internalize and mask, which relate to my professional google diagnosis of ADHD, are leaking out and having a negative effect. Also on my job.
I can’t concentrate (I’m writing this while I should be working), am making more careless errors, zone off into space, day dream the day away, time loss, bad sleep, exhausted, I have so many emails and messages I just can’t seem to respond to, can’t stick to a new hobby for more than 2 months, definitely have a spending and shopping addiction, finally beginning to feel crushing guilt over all these problems, I could go on.
The last two weeks have been quite hard now that I recognize there really is a problem, and I finally made a therapy appointment for next week.
I’m quite nervous about a misdiagnosis. I know there are a lot of overlap in symptoms, and I could truly have a different issue, but I finally let myself google more about ADHD symptoms last night, and I felt so understood, I was actually happy and relieved for a few minutes! It explains so much for all of the problematic behaviors I’ve had my whole life. But then 10 minutes later I had a mini panic attack and questioned whether it could be ASD or BPD instead lol. Someone a decade ago actually said they could see me having Asperger’s, and that comments always stuck with and bothered me. Then I’ll google those symptoms, and they’re not really an exact fit, but the cycle will loop again.
So until next week, I was wondering if anyone has any advice for first time therapy, or any advice in general?
Thank you for reading my novel!
submitted by Apprehensive_Yam1005
to ADHD [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:16 autobuzzfeedbot 21 Facts That Are So Interesting, I Know They Will Live In My Brain For All Of Eternity
Link to article
- While Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" is probably one of the crooner's best-known songs, it was originally very different. Turns out, we have Robert De Niro to thank for it! Composer John Kander and lyricist Fred Ebb were tapped to write music for Martin Scorsese's 1977 film, New York, New York, which stars Liza Minnelli and De Niro. When the duo previewed the songs they had written, De Niro thought the title track, which was connected to his character, was too lighthearted. Although Kander and Ebb said they thought De Niro seemed "pompous" in telling them to rewrite the song, they took the criticism to heart and ended up penning their new version of the song in just 45 minutes.
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off is my favorite movie of all time, so it's honestly criminal that I've never done a deep dive into some behind-the-scenes moments from the film! John Hughes, known for his teen movies, ended up writing the script in just a few days in order to get a draft finished before the Writers Guild of America went on strike. The script was reportedly so strong that it was barely edited before filming started. The movie is widely considered to be a love letter to Hughes's Chicago hometown and is filled with references to his own upbringing and shots of the city's skyline. In fact, Hughes even gave Ferris the same address as his childhood home, and his bedroom reportedly resembled Hughes's.
- If I had to learn about this giraffe mating ritual, then it's only fair that you do too, okay? Unlike other animals, giraffes don't have a set mating season. Instead, they have an estrous cycle, which resembles a human menstrual cycle, except this cycle swaps blood for urine. When a male giraffe approaches a female giraffe, he begins to rub against her, which she takes as a signal to begin peeing. The male giraffe then tastes her pee to see if she's fertile, and thus, the mating ritual begins. A typical giraffe pregnancy lasts for 400–460 days. Male giraffes typically have no role in raising their offspring.
- In 2007, Lisa Nowak became the first NASA astronaut to be arrested when she drove across the United States to confront a woman who was dating a fellow astronaut with whom Nowak had also had a relationship. About a decade after graduating from the US Naval Academy, Nowak was selected to be an astronaut at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, where she specialized in robotics. Nowak said she was deeply affected by the 2003 Columbia space shuttle explosion because her best friend, astronaut Laurel Clark, died. Nowak told NASA that her children convinced her to continue on with her space career despite her unease.
- Despite what you might believe after watching The Greatest Showman, P.T. Barnum was not a good guy. He had a long history of animal cruelty and was known for mistreating enslaved people and people with disabilities. He even reportedly hated the people who paid money to come see his exhibits. Barnum was allegedly frustrated that people were taking their time during visits to his museum, so he decided to post signs reading "This Way to the Egress" all over the place. He (correctly) believed that most of the visitors wouldn't know that "egress" meant "exit," so when they followed the signs, they ended up unknowingly leaving the entire museum. As a result, many people paid to reenter, bringing home even more money for Barnum.
- Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" is essentially History 101 in song form. The track name-drops 118 historical events from 1949 to 1989, including everything from pivotal moments in the civil rights movement to details from sports and pop culture history. Joel was inspired to write the song after having a conversation with Sean Lennon, who was then in his 20s, while in the recording studio. One of Lennon's friends allegedly said that it was a terrible time to be a young person. Joel, who was about to turn 40, reportedly said that his own younger years hadn't been that easy either.
- Coney Island's skyline looked a lot different back in the 1800s. The Brooklyn boardwalk was once home to a 200-foot-tall elephant-shaped hotel! The hotel, known as the Elephantine Colossus, was built in 1885 and contained 31 rooms, a concert hall, and a museum. The elephant's head housed an observatory, and its eyes served as telescopes. The real kicker was that the hotel was built several years before the Statue of Liberty was completed, so the giant elephant was often the first thing immigrants saw when they reached New York. At some point, the hotel was seen as gimmicky and lost most of its clientele. Soon, sex workers began moving in. In 1896, Elephantine Colossus burned down and was never rebuilt.
- During Ronald Reagan's 1966 California gubernatorial campaign, he began eating jelly beans in an attempt to curb his pipe-smoking habit. His jelly beans of choice were the Goelitz Mini Jelly Beans from the Herman Goelitz Candy Co. Once the company caught wind of Reagan's love for the treat, they began to send the politician a monthly shipment of candy and even gifted the governor with a custom jelly bean jar. After Reagan's two terms as governor ended, the company continued to send him jelly beans. In 1976, Goelitz debuted their latest creation: the Jelly Belly. Within two years, Reagan's entire jelly bean shipment shifted to include only Jelly Belly jelly beans.
- There are two main groups of whales: baleen whales, which include species like the blue whale and the humpback whale; and toothed whales, consisting of orcas, belugas, and sperm whales. While you probably guessed that toothed whales are named as such because they have teeth, baleen whales have baleen plates in their mouths, which help them filter out krill and other food. Toothed whales also have a "melon" in their foreheads. The melon is a mass of tissue that helps with communication and is crucial for echolocation, which they use to find food and to navigate underwater.
- In 1997, construction on Disneyland's California Adventure Park was halted after Princess Diana was killed in a limo accident in a Paris tunnel on Aug. 31. California Adventure was supposed to include a ride called Superstar Limo, which involved guests boarding a limo and embarking on a high-speed chase through some of Los Angeles's biggest landmarks in order to get to the Disney offices in time to sign a huge movie contract. Riders also had to evade the paparazzi. Once the ride ended, passengers were encouraged to buy mock tabloids featuring the pictures the "paparazzi" had taken of them. Following Diana's death, Disney knew they could no longer debut the ride. Soon, they began to brainstorm alternative ideas to replace the limo theme.
- Donald Gorske, who is known as the ultimate Big Mac fan, has reportedly eaten at least one McDonald's Big Mac every day for the past 50 years. As of May 2022, Gorske believes he has consumed about 32,340 Big Macs. He told Guinness World Records that he typically eats two Big Macs a day, although he revealed that at one point, his daily diet included nine burgers! "May 17, 1972, was the day I got my first car," Gorske said. "I drove to McDonald’s, ordered my first three Big Macs, went in the car, and ate them. And I said right there that I’m gonna probably eat these the rest of my life, and I threw the cartons in the backseat and started counting them from day one." Despite his Big Mac diet, Gorske and his wife say that doctors have given him a clean bill of health.
- Although you probably picture Queen Elizabeth II wearing one of her signature colorful skirt suits, her fashion history is actually quite fascinating! Elizabeth was photographed wearing pants only once during her entire reign. In 1970, she was reportedly interested in updating her look, and asked her tailor for a custom pantsuit to wear during her royal tour in Australia. It's safe to assume that Elizabeth wasn't too fond of the outfit, as she was never again seen wearing pants in public. In order to maintain professionalism and avoid any type of fashion mishap, her dress hems were always cut below the knee.
- In 1986, Clint Eastwood ran for mayor of Carmel, California, in part because he wanted to overturn the town's strict law regarding ice cream sales. Eastwood announced his intention to run for office in 1985 after he reportedly found the City Council very difficult to work with when he wanted to turn property he owned into office space. He also cited a 1929 law in Carmel that banned the sale of ice cream cones as another reason for his campaign. In April 1986, he defeated incumbent Charlotte Townsend. His first order of business? He removed from office all of the people who supported the ice cream ban, thus allowing the sale of ice cream cones in Carmel for the first time in decades.
- Chances are, you read George Orwell's Animal Farm in school. In the novel, a group of animals team up to rebel against the farmer who owns them, only to end up living in a communist dictatorship led by pigs. Although Orwell said that the book was the first time he had successfully been able to blend politics and art, he had a hard time finding a publisher. Several publishing houses turned down the book because they felt uneasy about its political stance. Secker & Warburg ultimately agreed to publish Animal Farm, and the book became a hit and was even used by the CIA as a propaganda tool during the Cold War.
- In 1928, Huey Long was elected governor of Louisiana on a promise of helping people who had been neglected by the federal government. He soon had his sights set on Washington and won a Senate seat. But before leaving for DC in 1932, he had the lieutenant governor replaced by two successors who promised to follow Long's commands. In the Senate, he created the “Share Our Wealth” program, which many thought was part of his bid for the presidency. In 1935, Long was assassinated by a political rival. Despite his death, his impact in the state lived on. In 1940, a study showed that rural schoolchildren not only had no idea that Long had been killed but also believed he was president.
- The Real Housewives franchise put Bravo on the map for its depiction of the wild and wacky antics of wealthy women around the country, but it originally looked like a much different show! Scott Dunlop, the original producer of the Real Housewives of Orange County, got the idea for the show in 1986 when he moved from Los Angeles to Coto de Caza, one of the world's largest gated communities, located in Orange County, California. Dunlop began to notice that many of his female neighbors spent their days shopping and playing golf while their husbands went to work.
- The first meal eaten on the moon included bacon bits, peaches, sugar cookie cubes, and a pineapple-grapefruit beverage. Bacon reportedly had a long history when it came to space travel. It was a staple during the Gemini missions and became a favorite among many astronauts. Despite all of the bacon love, it's since disappeared from space menus. Now the closest thing to bacon is a sausage patty that has to be rehydrated with warm water before being eaten.
- Oscar Gamble, a baseball player who spent over 20 years in the major leagues, was known not only for his on-field play but also for his Afro, which sparked quite the controversy. In 1973, Gamble arrived at the Cleveland Indians training camp sporting an Afro. Although many Black basketball players had Afros, the hairstyle wasn't too popular among baseball players. Baseball was often seen as more conservative, and during the 1970s, the Afro was associated with the Black Power movement. Gamble's hair quickly became controversial. "People took one look at that hair and thought I was a bad guy," Gamble said in 1979. "There were some sportswriters who wouldn’t talk to me. They thought I was some kind of militant, with my beard and my hair."
- In December 1990, Iben Browning, who claimed that he was a climatologist, predicted that a major earthquake was going to hit the St. Louis area on Dec. 3. In New Madrid, a Missouri town located on a fault line, people began stockpiling supplies, while others left town completely. Browning reportedly used weather patterns to make his predictions, although his exact methods were never publicized. Although scientists didn't vocally deny Browning's claims, it was believed that they didn't support his prediction, since it's impossible to predict an earthquake. The earthquake never happened. In fact, the area has not faced an earthquake at the magnitude Browning predicted in the three decades since.
- While kangaroos are known for their hopping abilities (they can jump about 25 feet in one go!), they are unable to go backward because their big feet and long tails prohibit any backward movement. This anatomical hindrance has since been used by their native Australia as a symbol. The kangaroo was reportedly included on the Australian coat of arms to represent the idea that Australia is a nation that is always moving forward.
- And finally, Elouise Cobell, who was also known as Yellow Bird Woman, fought for Native Americans to have control over their land and finances. Cobell was born on the Blackfeet Reservation in Montana, where her family did not have running water or electricity. Her great-great-grandfather notably stood up to the US government in the 19th century. When Cobell was 4 years old, her father built a one-room schoolhouse that she attended until she was in high school. Cobell reportedly took notice of her family's complaints about the Bureau of Indian Affairs, an agency that many suspected mismanaged the profits from land and trusts owned by Native Americans.
submitted by autobuzzfeedbot
to buzzfeedbot [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:15 Grayloveswomen My life is ruined for something i didn’t even tho.
I’m taking a health class this year and were in our drug unit. Both of my parents have been doing weed for my whole life, they’ve named me after weed and my mom smoke while pregnant with me.
I’ve sat beside my parents while they get high so many times before. In a paper i got today about the long term side effects of weed I have a lot of the mental health ones. It might be a coincidence but I’m not sure.
I’ve only ever smoked twice. And both were months apart. But my dad smokes nearly everyday around me.
submitted by Grayloveswomen
to Vent [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:15 Land_Before_Memes Gaining a lot of equity. What should I know?
I'm interested in buying my grandparents property. It's a 3br 2bath, 1600sqft home on 2.2 acres. They agreed to sell it to me for what they owe at $120,000.
Quick backstory: I want to buy it so my Grandfather can retire. He's 75 and still works full time. They are the people who raised me and I would love to pay them back this way.
The main home does need some repairs but isn't a wreck. We live in a high COL area near a national park. I'm unsure of what it's worth but I do know itd be 500k + in the current market where we live (The bank estimated 700k but the home does need updating and repairs like I said)
Now, if I bought the property I wouldn't be selling it as I would want my grandparents to still live here. I'd put them on a lease and charge them no rent. I was wondering if I could use some of the equity to bump myself up in the world and invest in other ventures.
I've liked the idea of investing in rental properties for awhile, I also have the option to invest outside of the United States, I have friends that own hotels/airbnbs in Mexico that I could partner up with.
Almost forgot, my finacials: I bring in 5700 before taxes At current job for 3 years 30k in savings 10k emergency fund No debt I also live on the property already and pay rent to my grandparents in a separate cabin they let me build.
Thanks for any advice! Just decided if I should take the leap of faith.. scary doing this type of stuff.
submitted by Land_Before_Memes
to realestateinvesting [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:15 margerineeclipse Who are 2-in-1 laptops important to?
I've never had any desire to start bending my laptop into different shapes or to draw things on the screen. I want it to just be a laptop. When I'm out and about in spaces where a lot of people are on laptops I barely ever see anybody bending their laptops around. It seems like 2-in-1 laptops are for a very niche crowd. Yet when I shop for a laptop online I am aggressively bombarded with 2-in-1s as if everybody is clamoring for them, and the regular ol' laptops (which most people want) are buried beneath them on the page. It's just sort of bizarre to me.
submitted by margerineeclipse
to laptops [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:15 Morc-Glork I felt as if A Feast for Crows did the best job at capturing and sticking to a specific tone better than the other books in the series
I want to mention that I’m only 300ish pages in A Dance with Dragons so I’d appreciate if we could avoid spoilers in the comments.
When I first started reading Feast I admittedly wasn’t impressed by it, primarily by its lack of action, but it grew on me pretty quickly. I feel like this book is able to capture a tone better than anything else in the series was able to, in this instance being a seemingly hopeless and hollow post-war world.
Brienne’s traveling across Westeros reflecting on the events she witnessed previously, and those areas are now either back to semi-normal or empty, and her failing to rescue and protect Sansa. Cersei’s hatred of the world and how she dealt with Tywin’s death, and eventually being imprisoned was able to capture this really strong feeling of anger and near hopelessness very well. Arianne being trapped in a tower by her father after witnessing the man she loved die doing his duty. Sam not being able to get Aemon to Oldtown, especially after he started to fight for his life more when he heard of Daenerys and her dragons. Sansa once again being trapped in the Eyrie not even being able to go by her own name somewhere despite her previously escaping somewhere else she was held captive in the Eyrie. Both Sansa and Arianne being trapped in specific areas was also a big factor in me forming this opinion.
It was able to have this very consistent hollow, lonely, and hopeless tone that really elevated the experience of reading it for me.
submitted by Morc-Glork
to pureasoiaf [link] [comments]
2023.03.21 22:14 _max_mustermann_ How do you tame a crestie?
Three days ago I got a really anxious 7 year old female crestie. I was told she would be nice and tame once out of the tank, but she really isn't. The breeder admitted that she was a really scared, skittish one, when he gave her to me, but that was a bit too late and I guessed I could try to tame her. When I held her and wanted to put her in the tank she tried to escape from me and today she opened her mouth when I came near her with my hand. I fed her yesterday night and today a bit with a chopstick since she didn't ate on her own (too stressed?) and I figuered it would be good if she associates me with food. What else can I do? How long should I wait with handling? How do I aproach this without stressing her too much? The terrarium is in my room and I'm there all the time, I guess I'm really worried that she fears my presence and doesn't change at all cause she's already older. I really want to keep her, so every advice would be great.
submitted by _max_mustermann_
to CrestedGecko [link] [comments]